Macy’s department store was the originator of the very first wedding gift registry in the 1920s. During this time most relevant gift items contained in the registry were crystal, china, and silverware; the important things to make a home complete for a newlywed.
Over the years, the wedding gift registry has evolved with time and the various generations. Couples now are creating households together prior to marriage and creating unique gift registry ideas or no gift registry at all.
When making the decision to create a wedding registry consider the following:
- Make it practical.
- Minimize the number of locations if you decide on department store registries; no more than 2.
- Only register at locations you actually shop/use on a continuous basis.
- Select items that reflect your personality and lifestyle.
- Let it have value and true purpose. Do not create a list of random suggestions that will confuse or deter your guests of your meaning for the registry.
Here are our recommended wedding gift registry ideas that we cultivated for Couples that we think will bring value to their new lifestyle and something their guests will be intrigued to purchase for them.
CHINA, STEMWARE, SILVERWARE
- House of Andaloo: We are in love with so many things with this company. From their Bavarian 3-Piece Place Setting to their Antique Crystal Glasses; House of Andaloo has everything for the modern couple that still wants to design home with grace and elegance when entertaining.
- Royal Crown Derby: Based out of Derby, England, they are known as the world’s most respected brands in bone china. From modern to traditional, they have a collection to fit every lifestyle. One of our favorite picks is their Oscillate Collection – the combination of black and yellow color combinations is irresistible.
- Reed & Barton: Home entertaining is a time of laughter and great times with family and friends. You set the tone with your menu display and how it is served. We are in awe with Reed & Barton’s crystal glassware, the Soho Crystal Collection. Any beverage in their stemware takes drinking to another level of sophistication.
- Sasha Nicholas: Owner, Cynthia Nouri, has allowed homeowners to establish a tradition within their homes when entertaining with her custom-designed porcelain dinnerware. To family holiday dinners to intimate special occasions, this dinnerware sets the tone for family unity and creating a legacy for generations to come. Start your tradition with her, Weave Gold Rimmed Monogrammed Dinner Plate collection with Fleur De Lis Crest Monogram.
HOUSEHOLD ACCESSORIES & LINENS, DECOR
- Number Four Eleven: Based out of Savannah, Georgia, this company gives birth to southern hospitality and southern living. Refinement is reborn with their Sferra Classico Monogrammed Dinner Napkins made of 100% Italian linen.
- The Old Lucketts Store: To add character to any home, most Couples are looking for unique finds. Look no further than your local vintage shop or antique store. In our area, The Old Lucketts Store, is a restored general store that houses over 35 reputable dealers with distinctive household finds, in addition, the store has its own design company called The Design House. The Design House showcase everything for your interior décor monthly still allowing you to find those unique furnishing to complete your house to a home.
- Salt & Sundry: Owner, Amanda McClements, developed Salt & Sundry for her love of southern hospitality. You can walk into her boutique store in Washington, DC at Union Market, or shop online for a variety of handcrafted furniture, dinnerware, linens, covetable vintage finds, and a pantry stocked with small-batch foods and craft cocktail ingredients. Another of our favorites that help to create your house in to a home.
FOOD DELIVERY SERVICE:
The modern couple is a career professional and time is valuable in their daily lives. Food service companies allows couples to have better time management to live a balanced lifestyle while eating healthy. Some of our most suggested companies are:
(Disclaimer: all photographs in this blog are all sourced from the company websites that are mentioned).